Homework is an important part of life at school and demonstrates independence of thought as well as ensuring that students develop time management skills.
Setting of homework
- KS4 (Year 10 and Year 11), homework is normally set weekly (30-45 minutes). For some subjects, longer homework tasks may need to be set and so it may be set less frequently but the same time frames will be adhered to (with the exception of Core PE and RE).
- KS3 (Years 7, 8, 9), there are no set days for a subject to set homework. Homework is set weekly for core subjects and MFL and fortnightly for Humanities (15-30 minutes). There is an expectation that other subjects set homework throughout the term but no set number is given. Instead, they work on a set time expectation. For example, Art is likely to set a longer project per term in place of a weekly or fortnightly task.
- There is an expectation that there will be a 3 day time period between the setting and collection of each piece of homework at both Key Stages.
- All homework will be set using http://www.showmyhomework.com. If you do not have a login or are struggling to access the website, please contact: email@example.com. Students new to the school will receive their log in details in September or via Tutors for in-year admissions.
Rewards and Sanctions
- All students will receive 2 House Points for every piece of homework they submit by the given deadline. Additionally rewards (House Points, letters and postcards home) will continue to be awarded for pieces of an exceptional quality.
- If a Key Stage 4 student fails to complete 2 pieces of homework in a weekly period they will be expected to attend Homework Club each day of the following week (this is held from 3:05 – 3:35 in 161). Letters will go out via Parent Pay on the Friday before, parents should also be contacted by individual members of staff and Curriculum Leaders if they persist in missing pieces in a certain area. This will be supervised by teaching staff and it is expected that students complete the homework they have failed to complete during the time in the club as well as making a start on the pieces for the following week.
- As above, Key Stage 3 students will be expected to attend Homework Club if they fail to complete 2 pieces of homework in a fortnightly cycle. The expectations of these sessions are the same as KS4.
- Failure to attend this club will result in a Headteacher’s Detention being issued. These run from 3:00 – 5:00pm on Friday afternoons.