16-19 Bursary Fund Application Form
The 16-19 Bursary Fund is designed to support post-16 students in full time education with the financial challenges of their continuing education. Students (or their parents/carers) on a low income or in receipt of certain benefits – i.e.Tax Credits, may be eligible for this support. The type of support available may vary depending on which of these categories a student (or parent/carer) is eligible for. More information about the 16-19 bursary (including eligibility and criteria) can be found at:
If you think you may be eligible, please fill out the application form below and return the completed form to: Mr Jon Reddiford, Head of Sixth Form
It is important to note that the available fund is limited. The school is under no obligation to make payments and failure to comply with the terms of the Attendance Policy and/or the Sixth Form Contract will result in further funding not being available.
Students who are deemed eligible should be aware that to continue to receive their full allocation of bursary/funding throughout the year:
- They must maintain a minimum of 90% attendance.
- There must be no unauthorised absences during the school day or persistent lateness.
- They must maintain acceptable levels of behaviour, as outlined in the Sixth Form Agreement.
Students will only receive bursary funding if they have secured a minimum of 90% attendance at School including afternoon registration. The only exceptions to this rule include the following:
- Medical Procedure or illness supported by a Doctor’s Certificate, Hospital letter or letter from parents/carer.
- University/Apprenticeship/Work Interview (if authorisation has been requested in advance).
- University Open Day (if authorisation has been requested in advance).
- School Trip Excursion.
- Official School Closure i.e. snow day.
- Official School Study Leave.
Students will NOT receive bursary funding if they use any of the following as verification of absence:
- Dentist appointment – Except Orthodontic.
- Any other form of self-certification.
- Unauthorised family holidays
- Lateness to school affecting lesson attendance.
- Driving lessons/theory test.
There may be occasions when cases have to be looked at on an individual basis and at the discretion of the Head of Sixth Form whose decision will be final. An example of these could include any of the following, although this list is not in- depth:
- Practical Driving Test – This does not include the theory test as students can select a suitable time and date. This should be during their free time.
- Family/close friend’s funeral.
- Sports trials/training/county selections.
- Religious events.
Students who fail to meet the above criteria will be required to meet with the Head of Sixth form and may have further bursary payments suspended.
Free School Meals
North Somerset Council have changed the application process for Free School Meals, please be aware that the former free school meal paper application forms have been replaced (with immediate effect) by an online checker which needs to be renewed every term.
Parents/carers will be able to apply online for free school meals (for each child separately) and will be able obtain an instant result. The new online system will generate a letter that parents/carers must print off and give to schools to show eligibility, alternatively parents/carers may choose to forward the letter to the school via email.
Parents/carers will need to apply every school holiday (six times a year) and eligibility will last for the whole of the next school term. Anybody who applies mid-term must present their eligibility letter. Eligibility will start from the date on the letter and will stop at the end of that term.
For each child that attends the school their eligibility will be required to be checked individually as the online checker will create a separate code for each child.
To apply for free school meals, please use the North Somerset Council – Online application form – which can be found at:
If you have any queries, require further assistance in making the online application or do not have access to the internet, please contact Jon Reddiford, Head of Sixth Form on: 01275 852066 or email him at: JReddiford@nailseaschool.com