Nailsea School aims to meet the educational needs of all its students and values academic excellence. We believe our most Able and Talented students should be challenged and stretched to meet their expectations and goals. To ensure Nailsea students’ needs as individuals are specifically catered for, students are identified with provisions put in place to monitor and support their progress and achievement. Moreover, research also suggests that extending the learning and achievements of the top 5-10% of students has a beneficial impact on standards overall.
Indicators of Able and Talented:
- They can think quickly and accurately
- They work systematically
- They are creative
- They can process unfamiliar information and apply previous knowledge and their own insights
- They are diligent and determined
- They show empathy and sensitivity
- They make sound judgements
- They can be outstanding leaders
- They can be fascinated by or passionate about a particular subject or topic.
At Nailsea School, students that are Identified as most Able and Talented are those who are within the top 5-10% within curriculum areas (in line with national standards eg
students who may attain Level 8/9 at GCSE).
Identification is based on:
• Primary teacher referral through primary liaison protocols
• KS2 scores
• KS3 baseline testing
• CATs scores
• Curriculum referral based on specific criteria / dispositions being demonstrated (based against subject specific measures).
• Information from external agencies
For further reading try one of the Potential Plus E-Zines
The latest edition of Fuse can be found here
The latest edition of Ignis can be found here